Port Elgin Real Estate, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine
Helping you make the right move.
Port Elgin and Area Real Estate News
Updates on the Port Elgin, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine real estate market, home buyer & seller tips and general real estate advice.
Moving to a new Port Elgin home is an exciting life change but it can also be very stressful if you’re not properly prepared.
It’s important to create a detailed checklist a few months ahead of time in order to ensure things go smoothly. Here are some points to help get you started:
Two Months Before
- Itemize all of the major items you’ll be moving.
- Get estimates and book the movers or a rental truck.
- Have a garage sale or donate items to charity to get rid of excess clutter.
- Start sucking up to friends and family for help!
One Month Before
- Switch your insurance, medical and school records to your new location.
- Arrange to disconnect and reconnect utilities and phone/internet services.
- Notify any other important parties of your new address.
- Start stockpiling various sizes of boxes.
Two Weeks Before
- Start packing up room by room.
- Plan meals so food in your fridge and freezer gets used up.
- Arrange for someone to look after your pets on moving day.
- Return library materials and other rental items.
The Final Week
- Water your plants a few days before you move.
- Put together a small bag of clothes and toiletries for the first few days.
- Gather valuable items such as legal documents and family photos so you can transport them yourself.
- Pack a box with essentials such as cleaning supplies, chargers, light bulbs, soap, garbage bags, etc. for the first week in your new home.
Day of the Move
- Make sure you have your new keys.
- Double check the movers have your new address and cell phone number.
- Have lots of refreshments on hand for your busy helpers!
Moving can cause a wide range of emotions from sadness to extreme excitement. Although moving can be stressful at times, a little bit of planning will provide you with some very valuable peace of mind. With the help of this checklist, you can now breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy this exciting new phase of your life!
As summer winds down, we need to start getting the kids back into the school time routine, starting with bedtime. Here are a few tips to help them adjust:
- Screens Out – Don’t let your kids play video games before bedtime as screens can affect their sleep.
- Get Moving – Exercise improves sleep considerably so try and sneak in extra activities throughout the day but avoid it two hours before bed.
- Gradually Adjust Bedtime – Don’t wait until the night before school. Instead, gradually take it back 10 – 15 minutes early until you reach the desired time and get up at the same time each morning.
Being sleep deprived will affect both your kids and your own ability to focus and learn. It’s therefore important to adopt good sleep habits to help increase your energy levels during the day which will in turn help you sleep better at night.
Grey Bruce home sales down from same time last year.
Residential sales activity in the geographical area covered by the REALTORS® Association of Grey Bruce Owen Sound totaled 261 units in July 2018. This was down 21.6% from a strong July in 2017.
On a year-to-date basis, home sales totalled 1,716 units over the first seven months of the year. This was a decrease of 18.2% from the record for the record for the same period in 2017.
The average price of homes sold in July 2018 was a record $353,158, rising 12.5% from July 2017. The more comprehensive year-to-date average price was $344,731, rising 10.7% from the first seven months of 2017.
New residential listings in the region numbered 367 units in July 2018. This was a decrease of 19.7% on a year-over-year basis and was the lowest number of new listings to hit the market since the early 1990’s.
Overall supply also stands at record lows. Active residential listings numbered 969 units at the end of July. This was a decrease of 17.9% from the end of July 2017.
Months of inventory numbered 3.7 at the end of July 2018, little changed from the 3.5 months recorded at the end of July 2017 and well below the long-run average of 9.8 months for this time of year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.
The dollar value of all home sales in July 2018 was $92.2 million, decreasing by 11.8% from the record for the month seen in 2017. Sales of all property types numbered 327 units in July 2018. This was a decrease of 18.5% from July 2017. The total value of all properties sold was $110.9 million, down 6.3% from July 2017.
A few natural alternatives for all you mosquito magnets out there!
It’s so unfair 🙁 Whenever the weather turns nice, we have to lather ourselves in chemicals so we don’t get chased inside by swarms of mosquitoes. Here are a few natural solutions to consider:
- Go Natural – Make homemade sprays and lotions with essential oils such as lemon eucalyptus, lavender, mint or tea tree oils.
- Not on My Watch – Eliminate breeding places by covering or flipping over backyard bowls, buckets, bird baths or any other spot where there’s stagnant water.
- Get your Garden On – Plant citronella, geranium, eucalyptus, rosemary, catnip and lavender in both your garden and in pots as they all help repel the little bloodsuckers.
- Gone Batty – Bats eat thousands of mosquitoes each night so attracting them to your yard by installing a few bat boxes is a great way to defend against skeeters.
It’s well worth giving some of these natural alternatives a try to avoid the nasty chemicals that come in spray cans. Don’t forget to also wear light or neutral shades as mosquitoes are attracted to people wearing dark clothing and avoid any heavy, perfumed scents.