Port Elgin Real Estate, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine
Helping you make the right move.
Port Elgin and Area Real Estate News
Updates on the Port Elgin, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine real estate market, home buyer & seller tips and general real estate advice.
Pet Parenting? Yes, there’s an app for that too!
As proud pet parents, we’re always looking for ways to make our furry friends’ lives better.
There have been huge advances in smart home technology for pets but with these apps, all you need is your smartphone!
- PetCoach – This is perfect for new and seasoned pet owners. Whether you need a second opinion or it’s after hours for your vet, this app has all the answers!
- BringFido – This handy app lets you know which hotels, attractions and restaurants welcome pets so you won’t have to leave your hound at home.
- Dogo – This dog training app is based on positive clicker training. It’s fun, comes with a built-in clicker and monitors your progress. It will then personalize future training sessions according to your feedback.
Be a plugged in pet owner and let these handy tools help keep your pet healthy and happy. All apps are available for both Android and iOS and none of them cost a cent!
This versatile household staple has an array of surprising uses!
Most of us know that adding Epsom salts to your bath helps relax muscles and relieve stress but here are a few lesser-known reasons why you should always keep Epsom salt in your home:
- House Cleaner – Mix Epsom salt with dish soap to scrub off stains on tile and countertops.
- Splinter Hint – Dissolve a cup of Epsom salt in a tub of hot water and soak the affected area for a few minutes.
- Deter Critters – Spread a light dusting around garbage cans to deter pesky critters like raccoons as they hate the taste.
- Help Your Garden Grow – Sprinkle a tablespoon of Epsom salt before you plant your veggies and flowers as it acts as a magnesium fertilizer.
These are just a few of the many ways you can use this inexpensive, natural product that can be found at any drugstore. This mineral mixture has many more uses so make sure you stock up because once you’ve completed all that cleaning and gardening, you’ll want a long soak in the bath!
Stave off winter breakdowns by tackling tasks ahead of time!
Taking the time to regularly maintain your property is critical as it helps protect your most valuable investment.
It’s also much more cost effective to proactively fix small problems as opposed to fixing them once they’re past the point of no return.
Regular maintenance should be part of your routine so here’s a fall home maintenance checklist to help keep you organized:
- Lawn Love – Rake up leaves and aerate/fertilize your lawn.
- Get Cracking – Fix any cracks or gaps you see in the driveway.
- Safety First – Test and clean your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
- Furnace Fix – Inspect your furnace filter and schedule a furnace tune-up.
- Roofing Repair – Check your roof for leaks and damaged shingles.
- Clearing a Clog – Clean leaves from gutters and test downspouts with a hose.
- Chimney Sweep – Inspect your chimney for obstructions such as bird’s nests.
- Cool Weather Ahead – Check the weatherstripping on your windows and doors.
- Pest Proofing – Check your home’s exterior for any holes that rodents could use to gain entry.
- Foundation Fix – Ensure water doesn’t pool around your home as it can cause flooding and damage your foundation.
Preventative maintenance will help ensure small problems don’t turn into big headaches that need professional attention on short notice. Just a little time and planning will help you maintain your Port Elgin home’s value and you’ll also save money each month as your home will be much more efficient.
Residential sales activity in the geographical area covered by the REALTORS® Association of Grey Bruce Owen Sound totaled 284 units in August 2018.
This was down 9.3% from August 2017 and stood broadly in line with the 10-year average for that month.
On a year-to-date basis, home sales totalled 2,011 units over the first eight months of the year. This was a decrease of 16.8% from the record for the same period in 2017.
The average price of homes sold in August 2018 was a record $443,865, surging 43.2% from August 2017. The magnitude of price gain was the result of one unusually expensive residential property sale.
Excluding this one transaction from the calculation lowers the average price by almost $80,000 to $364,640 and trims the gain to a still robust 17.7%. The more comprehensive year-to-date average price was $358,052, rising 15.2% from the first eight months of 2017.
New residential listings in the region numbered 353 units in August 2018. This was down 9% on a year-over-year basis and was the lowest number of new listings to hit the market in the month of August since 2002.
Overall supply stands at record lows. Active residential listings numbered 913 units at the end of August. This was a decrease of 19.5% from the end of August 2017.
Months of inventory numbered just 3.2 at the end of August 2018, down from the 3.6 months recorded at the end of August 2017 and a record-low for this time of the year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.
The dollar value of all home sales in August 2018 was $126.1 million, a large increase of 30% from the same month in 2017. This was the highest dollar volume for this time of the year; however, removing the one unusually expensive residential property sale reduces the dollar volume to $103.6 million and cuts the year-over-year gain down to 6.8%.
Sales of all property types numbered 360 units in August 2018, down 9.3% from August 2017. The total value of all properties sold was $149.3 million, rising 27.6% from August 2017.