Port Elgin Real Estate, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine
Helping you make the right move.
Port Elgin and Area Real Estate News
Updates on the Port Elgin, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine real estate market, home buyer & seller tips and general real estate advice.
Think outside the box this year by setting resolutions for your home!
January opens up new possibilities for our health and wellbeing but have you ever thought about making resolutions for your home? Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Just Do It! – Tackle a major item on your to-do list such as cleaning out the basement or painting the bathroom.
- Cut Back – Seal and insulate your ductwork then set goals to reduce bills such as turning off lights and reducing water consumption.
- Plant It – There are many ways to improve the quality of your indoor air but start off by adding plants to naturally filter the air you breathe.
- Basket Case – Purchase baskets to organize everyday items such as remotes and controllers so they don’t just get tossed around the room.
- Keep it Clean – Take just 10 minutes each day to walk through and put everything back in its home. Get the entire family involved!
- Safety First – Make sure your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are in good working order and that you have a family escape plan in place.
- The Purge – Go through your home one room at a time each month and purge any items you no longer have interest in and instead, fill your home with things that make you feel good.
Not only are they delicious, but your home will smell amazing too!
Candied pecans are delicious! They’re so good that they’ll likely disappear before they make it to the salad, cake, gift jar or dessert they were intended for. Here’s how you make them:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp water (or substitute vanilla extract)
- 1 pound of pecan halves
Preheat oven to 250°F and mix the sugar, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl. Whisk the egg white and water together in another bowl until frothy. Next, toss the pecans in the egg white mixture then coat the pecans with the sugar mixture. Finally, spread the coated pecans onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for an hour, making sure to stir every 15 minutes. Enjoy!
A few small changes will have you dreaming of a green Christmas!
The holiday season is a magical time of year but it can also be a time of great waste. It’s easy though to enjoy Christmas cheer and still cut your carbon footprint. Here are a few ideas:
- Decorate Naturally – Bring the scent of nature into your home with evergreens, fir cones and cranberries.
- Think Outside the Box – All those gift bags, ribbons and bows account for an incredible amount of waste so try and reuse old wrapping paper.
- Light Up Mindfully – Everyone loves the twinkle of holiday lights but for the sake of the environment, use LED lights and remember to turn them off before going to bed.
- One, Two, Tree – Real trees take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen all while sustaining the local economy. Artificial trees, on the other hand, can’t be recycled and may contain toxins.
The holiday season is a great opportunity to start eco-friendly family traditions that will hopefully be passed down for many generations to come. Better still, these methods are as easy on your wallet as they are on the environment!
Grey Bruce home sales in line with their 10-year average.
Residential sales activity in the geographical area covered by the REALTORS® Association of Grey Bruce Owen Sound totaled 190 units in November 2018.
This was a decrease of 16.3% from the near-record month of November in 2017 but was still a touch above the 10-year average for the month.
On a year-to-date basis, home sales totalled 2,693 units over the first 11 months of the year. This was a decrease of 16.4% from the same period in 2017.
The average price of homes sold in November 2018 was $343,468, rising 10.8% from November 2017. The more comprehensive year-to-date average price was $358,871, rising 15.4% from the first 11 months of 2017.
New residential listings in the region numbered 213 units in November 2018. This was an increase of 17% on a year-over-year basis but was still below the same month in most other years in history.
Overall supply remains at record lows. Active residential listings numbered just 667 units at the end of November, down 9.6% from the end of November 2017. The long-run average for this time of the year is closer to 1,600 listings.
Months of inventory numbered 3.5 at the end of November 2018, up slightly from the 3.3 months recorded at the end of November 2017 but far below the long-run average of 11.4 months for this time of year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.
The dollar value of all home sales in November 2018 was $65.3 million, down 7.3% from the same month in 2017. Sales of all property types numbered 244 units in November 2018, a decrease of 13.8% from November 2017. The total value of all properties sold was $78.6 million, down 6.5% from November 2017.