Port Elgin Real Estate, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine
Helping you make the right move.
Port Elgin and Area Real Estate News
Updates on the Port Elgin, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine real estate market, home buyer & seller tips and general real estate advice.
These simple yet genius tricks will make your life so much easier!
Hacks are uncommon yet creative solutions for everyday problems. Here are five simple hacks for the home that will help make your life a whole lot easier:
- Towel Tip – Adding a dry towel to a load of wet laundry significantly reduces drying time which also cuts down on energy use.
- Sharpie Stain – If your child has decorated your hardwood floors with a magic marker, apply a bit of toothpaste with a damp cloth and watch it disappear!
- Blend Away – To remove stubborn stains from your blender, mix lemon juice and warm water with a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid and then blend for a minute.
- Watch Your Step – We all know that sinking feeling when a glass shatters leaving tiny shards everywhere. To make sure you get every last sliver, press a slice of bread over the entire area.
- Silence Squeaks – If your creaky wooden floors make you feel like you’re living in a haunted house, just sprinkle some baby powder between any open seams to lubricate the wood and stop the squeaking.
We all want an easier life and home hacks are a great way to accomplish that as they allow you to bypass and overcome some of life’s little problems. There are literally thousands of hacks out there so watch this space for cleaning, organizing and other life hacks that we’ll be sharing in future newsletters!
Grey Bruce home sales in line with 10-year average.
Residential sales activity in the geographical area covered by the REALTORS® Association of Grey Bruce Owen Sound totaled 114 units in January 2019.
This was exactly in line with the 10-year average for January, but marked a decline of 18.6% from January 2018, which was nearly a record for the month. The average price of homes sold in January 2019 was $343,156, up 8.5% from January 2018.
New residential listings in the region numbered 176 units in January 2019. While this was an increase of 15.8% on a year-over-year basis, it was still a very low reading for new supply to start the year.
Overall supply also stands just above record lows. Active residential listings numbered just 565 units at the end of January, up 10.4% from the end of January 2018, which saw the lowest supply ever recorded at any point in the Association’s history.
Months of inventory numbered 5 at the end of January 2019, up from the 3.7 months recorded at the end of January 2018 but below the long-run average of 13.9 months for this time of year. The number of months of inventory is the number of months it would take to sell current inventories at the current rate of sales activity.
The dollar value of all home sales in January 2019 was $39.1 million, decreasing by 11.7% from the same month in 2018. Sales of all property types numbered 154 units in January 2019, down 8.9% (15 sales) from January 2018. The total value of all properties sold was $57.8 million, rising 13.2% from January 2018.
Relocating to a new city can be an exciting yet overwhelming time.
The prospect of a work relocation means you’ll need to be well organized as there’s usually not much time to get acquainted with your new area.
First off, determine what the cost of living will be in the new location. There’s no point in relocating for a higher salary if the extra income will be eaten up by increased living expenses.
Make sure to also consider factors such as workload, expense accounts, travel expectations, job opportunities for your spouse and schools for the kids. Here are a few other points to keep in mind:
- Time is Money – Create a budget and a detailed timeline to help you stay on track.
- Recon Mission – Plan a trip to familiarize yourself with the local area or check out a few community websites if it’s too far to preview in person.
- Check Yourself – A detailed checklist will help ensure everything goes smoothly which will reduce the stress that’s associated with a major move.
- Smooth Move – Select a real estate agent to sell your home and ask them to refer you to an agent in your new city who can help familiarize you with the local market.
Take the Credit – Employers often provide relocation packages to help offset expenses such as temporary housing and moving costs. There may also be certain tax credits available.
Deciding whether or not to relocate can be very stressful. Not only are you trying to negotiate a career move but you’ll also be starting a new life in an unfamiliar place. However, if you approach this process by paying close attention to all the details, you’ll enjoy a much more positive relocation experience. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have questions or need any real estate advice!
If you think airplane mode is only for flying, then think again!
Airplane mode blocks your connection to cellular networks when you take to the skies but there are many other lesser known benefits to this often ignored feature.
Airplane mode also saves battery life, charges a phone quicker and it will even stop those annoying ads from displaying when you’re playing Candy Crush!
Smartphones can also be extremely distracting so if you’re down to the wire on a project, simply switch over to airplane mode for a quick notification detox so you can focus and get your work done.
Finally, if you’re concerned about electromagnetic field radiation, set your phone to airplane mode when your smartphone’s not being used for wireless transmissions as it will completely cut off any form of radiation.