Port Elgin, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine
Helping you make the right move.
Port Elgin and Area Real Estate News
Updates on the Port Elgin, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine real estate market, home buyer & seller tips and general real estate advice.
If your washing machine is giving off a musty smell, it’s time for a wash!
Washing the washing machine may seem strange but over time, soap scum and bacteria build up in front loading washing machines which creates a musty smell.
Start by cleaning the rubber door gasket with white vinegar and water. Next, mix ¼ cup of baking soda with ¼ cup of water and add it to the detergent compartment, then pour 2 cups of vinegar in the drum and run an empty load at the hottest setting.
Clean your washing machine every month to keep it in tip top shape. If you leave the door open between loads, promptly remove laundry as soon as the load has finished and don’t use too much detergent, you’ll help keep your washing machine fresh and clean.
It just takes a little planning to curb the addiction to screens.
Children rely on technology more than ever resulting in less exercise and a lack of creativity. Here are a few “old school” activities to help them disconnect from their devices:
- Personal Puzzles – Cut an old photograph into various pieces and then see how quickly they can put it back together.
- Build a Fort – Drape blankets over chairs to create a cool fort. Once they’re comfortable in their new abode, drop by with some “fort warming” snacks.
- And… Action! – Putting on a play is a great way to exercise a child’s imagination. They can take turns writing, acting, designing costumes and even filming.
- Egg & Spoon Race – Give your children an egg and spoon and see how quickly they can cross the finish line without dropping it. This old-fashioned game will get them active and outside!
- Caching In – Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game! Register online and then set off to find the hidden cache with the help of a GPS.
Kids love being tourists in their own cities so take some time to regularly plan fun family outings that don’t involve technology. If we make the effort to disconnect once in a while, our kids will be more likely to do the same.
977 Highland Street, Port Elgin, Ontario
This stone bungalow is located in a desirable area of Port Elgin and situated on a large corner lot. Main floor features an open concept kitchen/dining and great room, formal dining room, a master suite with 4 piece ensuite and walk-in closet, 2nd bedroom, a den which could be used as a 3rd bedroom and a 4 piece bathroom. The unfinished basement offers large windows and a rough-in for future bathroom. Features include, hardwood & ceramic flooring, high ceilings, natural gas fireplace, stainless steel appliances, double French doors leading to the backyard deck. Large fenced backyard with lush grass which is easy to maintain with the irrigation system and economical sand point watering system. Available for quick closing. Call for an appointment to view.
A few small changes will transform your Port Elgin home’s first impression!
The key to getting top dollar for your home is to create huge demand. In order to get as many people through the door as possible, your home has to stand out from the competition.
There’s no need to completely overhaul your home’s exterior as it’s often the small details that increase the visual appeal of a property. Here are a few ideas that will enhance your home’s curb appeal:
- Light It Up – Solar lights will add a welcoming glow and dramatically highlight your home’s exterior.
- Perfect Porch – A well-lit porch with a few comfortable chairs and a couple of hanging baskets will set a tranquil tone.
- Peeling Paint – You want buyers to see that your home is well cared for so paint or power wash the exterior and clean all the windows.
- Accessorize – Replace outdated fixtures such as your mailbox, door handle and porch light and make sure your house numbers are attractive and visible from the street.
- Landscaping – Cut the grass and trim the hedges. Well-kept flower beds show pride of ownership and a few large pots full of bright flowers will accentuate the entranceway.
- De-clutter – An uncluttered exterior is as important as an uncluttered interior so put away tools, toys, bikes, pet toys and gardening equipment.
- Watch Your Back – When buyers drive by your home, they’ll usually try and get a glimpse of the backyard so make sure it also gets top notch treatment!
Just as people judge a book by its cover, buyers make assumptions about the interior of your port Elgin home based on how the outside looks. It’s therefore important to make a great first impression starting with the curb. Your efforts will significantly increase the chances of your home selling quickly and for top dollar!