Moving to a new home is an exciting life change but it can also be stressful.
The best way to ensure a smooth move is to write out a plan of action with a checklist and timeline that clearly states what needs to be done.
Start off by packing non-essential items like pictures and books. This is the perfect time to ruthlessly purge your “stuff” and either donate or sell any items you no longer use. Here are a few packing tips for the rest of your things:
- unscrew light bulbs from lamps
- water plants the day before the move
- take a photo of how your electronics are connected
- lay towels between pictures before bundling them up
- label the sides of boxes so you can read them when they’re stacked
Make sure to pack and label a box of essential items (sheets, towels, toilet paper, coffee, dishcloths, garbage bags, etc.) to help see you through the first few days in your new home. You’ll also want to:
- disconnect and reconnect your utilities
- submit your change of address to the post office
- ensure your insurance policy covers you during the move
- reserve the service elevator if you’re moving to a condo
- transport small valuables and personal documents yourself
The more organized you are, the less stress you’ll endure and the more fun you’ll have. If you follow these tips, you’ll have fond memories of the last day in your old home. Just don’t forget to take one last family photo before you leave!