Pets feel the stress of moving just like any other family member.
When you move, it’s important that your pets feel relaxed and content. Here are a few tips to help ensure your move goes smoothly:
- List It – Create a detailed checklist to help avoid any last-minute stress that your pets may pick up on.
- Vet the Vet – If you’re moving out of town, ask your vet for a referral and make sure to update your pet’s tags and microchips with your new contact details.
- Old Habits – Stick to their usual routine as much as possible before, during and after the move to help keep their anxiety at bay.
- Keep Calm – Have someone look after your pets on moving day but if that’s not possible, set them up in a quiet room to help keep them calm.
- Doggie Bag – Prepare a well-marked and easily accessible overnight bag with everything you need to help keep your pets happy and relaxed.
- Changing Room – Cats especially don’t like change so once you’re in your new home, set up a room with all their familiar essentials so they can slowly get used to their new surroundings.
Once you’re all moved in, give your pets lots of extra TLC to help calm their frayed nerves! Also, don’t forget to pet-proof your new home and do a quick sweep to make sure there aren’t any poisonous pest control traps left lying around by the previous owners.