Smoke detectors are important but they’re often overlooked.
Countless tragedies are prevented each year by smoke detectors. Here are a few tips to ensure your smoke detectors are in full working order:
- Test each alarm regularly by pressing the test button until the alarm sounds.
- Blow the dust out of the alarm whenever you check or change the batteries.
- Don’t “borrow” the batteries for the TV remote as you’ll likely forget to replace them.
- Smoke alarms should be replaced at least every ten years to ensure proper working order.
- Don’t install alarms near windows or doors as drafts could stop smoke from reaching the alarm system.
There should be at least one alarm installed on each floor including the basement and preferably every bedroom.
Alarms can be hard wired, battery powered or preferably a combination of both. Interconnected smoke alarms are best because when one alarm goes off, they all do. If you have any questions, Saugeen Shores fire department will be more than happy to help.