Make sure your pets don’t become a buyer’s pet peeve.
It’s important to present a top-notch first impression when selling your Port Elgin home. If you share your home with pets though, you’ll need to work extra hard to ensure it looks (and smells) its best!
Although you consider your pets part of the family, potential buyers will likely view them as a smelly nuisance. If you own pets, here are a few tips that will help when it comes time to sell your home:Deep Clean – Steam clean all carpets, rugs and couches and be sure to vacuum your home every day.
- Do the Doo Doo – Don’t forget to clean up outside before showings as people exploring your garden will be turned off by seeing it or even worse, stepping in it.
- Gone to the Dogs – Most people don’t want to be greeted by a barking dog when they enter a home. A whining dog in a crate is also a huge distraction so take Fido out for a walk if you’re unable to make other arrangements.
- Creepy Critters – Some buyers may be too scared to tour a room that contains pets such as snakes or rodents. They may even decide to leave your home altogether so try and remove any creepy creatures before putting your home on the market.
- Fur Real – Clean pet hair out from under the stove, tables, blinds and all crevices. Aside from its unsightly appearance, many people suffer from allergies and you don’t want them sniffling and sneezing while they’re viewing your home.
- Scratch the Surface – You’re probably so used to your scratched and chewed up furniture that you don’t even notice, but buyers will. Inspect your home thoroughly and repair scratched areas including window frames, doors, furniture and floors.
- Breathe Easy – Few smells are as offensive as those associated with animals. Buyers will be exploring the basement so make sure any litter trays are clean. Open up windows and simmer a few cinnamon sticks in water as buyers may be allergic to artificial scents.
It’s also important to de-clutter and depersonalize your home before showings so don’t forget to clear away pet beds, feeding bowls and toys from both inside and outside your home. Even animal lovers will be put off by the hair, smell and mess that pets can make so take these tips into account to ensure your furry friends don’t soil your sale!