Port Elgin Real Estate, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine
Helping you make the right move.
Port Elgin and Area Real Estate News
Updates on the Port Elgin, Southampton (Saugeen Shores), Paisley, Tiverton, & Kincardine real estate market, home buyer & seller tips and general real estate advice.
Your Port Elgin home office doesn’t have to be a laptop on a couch cushion.
Many people are breaking the chains of the corporate world in order to pursue careers that allow them to work from home. Here are a few tips that’ll help you get the most out of your home office:
- Plan Ahead – Make sure you plan out your space in advance so there’s enough room for a desk, chair and storage and don’t forget about your technology needs.
- Get Creative – If you don’t have an office, consider alternatives such as a guest room, sunroom or other unused space that’ll give you a designated area to work uninterrupted.
- Stand Up – Consider purchasing a stand up desk as it can increase productivity and it’s much better for your posture.
- Lighten Up – Position lighting so there’s a nice even flow and if possible, choose a room with lots of natural light. A few plants will also add to the atmosphere.
- Sound Off – Hard surfaces tend to amplify sounds but carpets, rugs and fabric window treatments will help absorb excessive noise.
- Boundaries – Choose a private spot and don’t use it as a dumping ground for non-business related items. When you work from home, it’s critical to separate your work from home life.
A well laid out and functional office is key to working effectively from home, but without a specific game plan, you’ll waste a lot of time and money. Planning ahead means you’ll be able to spend your time taking care of business and being productive!
Being left at home with an empty nest can be a major adjustment.
When your children finally leave home, you’ll be presented with a new found freedom and a variety of unexpected challenges.
Many empty nesters find their homes are too large once their kids move out and therefore opt to buy a smaller home in order to gain capital and reduce maintenance costs. These days though, some parents are hedging their bets in case their kids decide to move back in.
Deciding to downsize your Port Elgin home or stay put depends on your unique situation as downsizing isn’t always the right move, pardon the pun. It pays to closely examine your finances and motivations. Here are a few tips if you’re thinking of downsizing: be clear about your reasons as it’ll help with your new home search
- consider a condo if you plan on traveling as there’s very little maintenance
- plan ahead for the years when stairs will become a challenge
- make sure your new abode has room for future grandchildren 🙂
It’s a huge adjustment when the kids fly the coop but it’s also a great opportunity to pursue new hobbies and think about your own needs. If you’re not quite ready to sell up and move on, consider transforming an old bedroom into your very own personal retreat.
Whether you decide to sell your Port Elgin home or not, it’s a great time to declutter your home when the kids move out so go through every room and get rid of anything you no longer need. Whatever you do, just make sure you turn your new found freedom into a positive experience by focusing on yourself.
Your Port Elgin garden will spring to life with the addition of birds and butterflies!
Creating a haven in your garden for birds and butterflies takes a little planning but it’s well worth the effort. The following simple tips will help you turn your Port Elgin garden into a sanctuary:
- Go Natural – Avoid using pesticides as they’re harmful to both birds and butterflies.
- Water Works – Install a bird bath or fountain for your feathered friends to bathe and drink from.
- Food & Shelter – Trees and shrubs that bear fruit, nuts and berries not only provide food but also offer shelter.
- Bloom Boom – Butterflies are attracted to pink, orange, yellow, red, purple & blue shades while butterfly larvae feed on dill, fennel and milkweed.
- Sun Seekers – Butterflies like sunny locations that are sheltered from the wind. A few flat stones will give them a place to rest while warming in the sun.
If you’re looking to breathe some new life into your Port Elgin garden, just take a few steps to rally up some winged wildlife! Not only will you provide a place for them to call home but you’ll also create an oasis that the whole family will enjoy.
Storage space sells so don’t forget to clean out your closets!
When selling your Port Elgin home, it’s often the small things that make a huge difference. Storage can be a critical factor for buyers so here are two simple tips that will make your home seem larger:
- Remove at least half of all items from closets and cupboards so they appear larger and get rid of anything on the floor. Use the same hangers (no wire!) throughout.
- Organize the remaining items so your closets and cupboards look tidier. Make sure to neatly fold up towels and linens and use attractive bins and boxes to organize any loose items.
The points above may seem obvious but they’re often overlooked. Remember that storage space sells and if buyers see your closets bursting at the seams, they’ll assume your home isn’t big enough for you…or for them.