Your Port Elgin garden will spring to life with the addition of birds and butterflies!
Creating a haven in your garden for birds and butterflies takes a little planning but it’s well worth the effort. The following simple tips will help you turn your Port Elgin garden into a sanctuary:
- Go Natural – Avoid using pesticides as they’re harmful to both birds and butterflies.
- Water Works – Install a bird bath or fountain for your feathered friends to bathe and drink from.
- Food & Shelter – Trees and shrubs that bear fruit, nuts and berries not only provide food but also offer shelter.
- Bloom Boom – Butterflies are attracted to pink, orange, yellow, red, purple & blue shades while butterfly larvae feed on dill, fennel and milkweed.
- Sun Seekers – Butterflies like sunny locations that are sheltered from the wind. A few flat stones will give them a place to rest while warming in the sun.
If you’re looking to breathe some new life into your Port Elgin garden, just take a few steps to rally up some winged wildlife! Not only will you provide a place for them to call home but you’ll also create an oasis that the whole family will enjoy.