A bit of planning in advance will help keep you sane during a renovation.
If you’re thinking about renovating your Port Elgin or Southampton home, you’ll want to try and consider every little detail in advance.
Careful planning will not only allow you to hold onto your sanity during the upheaval but will also ensure you get the best bang for your buck! Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- No Surprises – Make sure you agree (in writing) on a completion date but keep in mind that renovations can sometimes be delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Be Flexible – Accept from the start that you’ll be dealing with a lack of privacy along with dust, noise, mess and disorganization but remember that it’ll all be worth it in the end.
- Kidding Around – Set aside some toys/games for the kids and schedule some playdates and local outings so you can escape the construction zone chaos.
- Plan Ahead – Pre-prep some freezer meals for quick and easy dinners. Also, take this opportunity to donate unwanted items to charity so your newly renovated home won’t be full of clutter.
- Stay in the Loop – Misunderstandings between contractors (and spouses!) are one of the biggest causes of stress during a renovation. Open communication is essential so schedule regular progress reports.
Watching your Port Elgin home transform into something new is a very exciting experience but it’s also a major inconvenience. The secret to making sure everything goes smoothly is to remain calm throughout the process and plan ahead for surprises. If you keep that in mind, your dream home will be a reality before you know it!